Someday, the altered art you make today will be
old, faded, falling apart, and someone else will salvage the bits and use them
in new altered art.It's the best that any piece of art can hope for

~ anon~


Click on the tabs below for some other stuff

............................................................................................................

Friday 22 February 2013

Say Hello to Roma

Here is the answer to my last 'Can you guess what it is yet' Its Roma the Rhino. I love faux taxidermy - rather realistic don't you think? Could almost be the real thing :p ....





The reason she is called Roma is because my Mum's best friend was called Roma, and I spent many a happy hour watching them both Crochet/Knit or stitch away, whilst patiently helping a ham-fisted small child (me) to make her wonky crochet square less wonky - so it's a bit of a tribute to her, although I doubt if she would like a Rhino being named after her, but she would like the finished article I'm sure.



Anyway back to Woolly Roma, I love her - even my teenage daughter who was very disparaging about me making a rhino to hang on the wall (all parents of teenage girls will know the 'oh Mum you are losing it' body language) came home and said 'Actually that is really cool' which is high praise from DD !


Her ears are a bit lopsided, which I was going to change, but OH rather likes them like that cos it makes her look 'quirky' er........ is she not already quirky LOL

I have now purchased the pattern for the Moose, so watch this space!

Now this is an interesting one, I bought the pattern fair and square over the internet as a PDF file (link below) someone has asked if they could have the pattern, to which I said no, I can't/won't pass it on - but gave her the link to buy her own, passing it on is stealing from the artist who created the pattern. BUT thinking about it, if I had it in a book, or purchased the paper pattern from my local wool shop, then I probably would lend it to someone without thinking twice. Its the same as telling people to sign up for Andy Skinner's online class if they want to learn the techniques I have learnt from him, but I have lent technique books to my arty pals - and borrowed them ... just thinking.. double standards or is it different??

Anyway I am rambling and you probably want to know where I got these fabulous patterns 

Check out this clever lady http://www.pepika.com




6 comments:

  1. I LOVELOVELOVE Roma!!! I want one!!!

    as for your question - it's tricky isn't it! If I had done a technique class I would happily show/tell someone else how to do the technique in my own words, but I wouldn't give them the class log on or materials....

    a pdf pattern? in truth, if it was a really close pal I'd probably photocopy it for them, but if just a blog contact or something I'd send them the link to buy their own....

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is awesome I cant wait to see the moose though !
    totally with you on the lending of stuff though x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicks I blinkin LOVE her!!!!!!!! so wish I could knit/crochet! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roma is a delight and she certainly put a big smile on my face :)
    Have a fun filled day.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving your colourful rhino, x

    When are you going to make a Rooster?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I am in love!!!!!!!!! Roma is absolutely gorgeous Nicks!!!! Those lips are fantastic and her wonky ears add even more character!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your views. I am sorry I have had to add 'word verification' (i find it very annoying myself) but I am getting increasing amounts of spam - please don't let it stop you commenting xx